Ever wonder why we procrastinate? It’s such a lazy thing to do. Yet we find ourselves doing it plenty. Why is that? Why do we constantly search for motivation when we can just motivate ourselves? It’s true! It’s easy to learn how to motivate yourself.
It’s not like we aren’t serious about our goals because WE ARE. It’s just that sometimes its hard just to get going. But what if that didn’t have to be?
What if we could get ourselves MOTIVATED at ANY TIME for ANYTHING? Can you imagine what life would look like?
According to Dr. Napoleon Hill, author of the book THINK AND GROW RICH, there are 10 MOTIVES of life that are available for us to push and pull at any time.
In his Science of Success program, Dr. Hill teaches that no man can ask anyone for anything until they have identified or planted a proper motive. (I would imagine this includes ourselves). Meaning that until we have found OR planted a motive, we haven’t given our dreams the fuel they need. No matter how strong your vision is, nothing happens without ACTION and MOTIVE CREATES ACTION.
I think it’s very important that EVERYONE learn How to Motivate themselves so I wanted to share the 10 Motives of Life in order of importance and power of influence.
1. Self Preservation – Necessary for survival or to avoid injury or pain
2. Love – For someone or something. Does not have to be romantic
3. Fear – Six basic fears of life can be used as motive instead of barriers
4. Sex – Self-explanatory …lol.
5. Legacy – Lasting beyond your lifetime.
6. Freedom – As opposed to slavery of the mind, body or soul.
7. Revenge – Or redemption.
8. Hate – Of someone or something.
9. Recognition & Self Expression – Doing it for the prize, award or creative outlet.
10. Material Gain – money.
Getting from point A to point B is as simple as IDENTIFYING the proper Motive and keeping it behind you for as long as it takes. If you feel you need more rocket power fuel, simply put more motives behind you.
If I wanted to lose 50 lbs I could find plenty of motives.
- The doctor tells me I might die if I don’t.
- I want to influence my kids with better health choices.
- I tell everyone I will lose weight online and will face public criticism if I don’t.
- uh…… I want to keep the lights on during evening festivities.
- I need to live longer to grow my wealth to pass down to the next generation.
- I don’t want to be a slave to the fast food industry anymore.
- I want to show up to my high school reunion and be more fit than everyone who called me fat in high school.
- I hate gluttony.
- I want to win the community Biggest Loser Contest.
- I bet a friend $500 and don’t want to lose my money.
Can you imagine if all of those applied to me? I would have ALL THE FUEL necessary to accomplish my goal of losing 50 lbs.
Remember, MOTIVES CREATE ACTION.
ACTION ACTION ACTION. The more…the better.
So take a look at your current goal and ask yourself “How many MOTIVES can I get behind me?” Identify as many as you can and keep them in mind every day. You will find that Failure is impossible when you take these simple steps.
Can you see why it’s SO POWERFUL to learn How to Motivate Yourself?